POLL : Links to other websites

What should be the default behavior when links are clicked in a forum post?

Links should open in the same window/tab
No votes
Links should open in a new window/tab
100%
I really couldn't care less
No votes

Total votes : 4

POLL : Links to other websites

Postby KeyPlayer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:59 pm

I've studied and debated this and decided I need to get input from actual users of this website to make a decision.

TexasMusiciansForum.com allows its members to put links to other websites in their posts. In the past, the normal behavior when someone clicked such a link was for it to open in a new window or new tab. In the past few years the W3C (the organization responsible for deciding standards for websites and web browsers to follow) has decided this is rude behavior and the correct thing to do is to let the user decide how to open a link (by setting a browser option, or using right-click options, etc).

I understand their reasoning, but I am pretty sure that many people are quite used to having links to other websites automatically open in a new window or new tab, and when it doesn't work this way it can cause frustration. Example : Member clicks a link in a post that goes to a band website. After perusing the website the member closes the browser window/tab because they assume it had opened in a new window/tab. Only then do they realize that wasn't the case and now they must open the browser again and log back into TexasMusiciansForum.com.

I can change how these links behave on this website but would love to hear from you first. Thank you for helping to make this website more enjoyable for all!
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." --Frank Zappa
KeyPlayer

6 Minutes

Re: POLL : Links to other websites

Postby Billy Blaze » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:55 am

excellent question, I voted
Connecting Musicians and Fans since 1998 : )
Billy Blaze

Mack Daddy

Re: POLL : Links to other websites

Postby KeyPlayer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:11 pm

And it's unanimous. Links posted from this minute forward will open in a new window.

Thanks for playing! :tiphat:
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." --Frank Zappa
KeyPlayer

6 Minutes

Return to Suggestions