Oh, the ways venues try to screw bands...

Oh, the ways venues try to screw bands...

Postby KeyPlayer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:05 am

I keep up with a lot of musicians on the net, and I see horror stories all the time about "pay to play" schemes. I rant about it often too, but this one kinda blew my mind...

This guy posted on reddit that a venue wanted to charge his band to use the club's PA. What? As one comment pointed out, this makes as much sense as hiring a chef, then telling him he has to pay for use of their kitchen. It's ridiculous!! Here's the reddit thread, with lots of comments... http://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMa ... us_to_use/

Share your horror stories - how has a venue tried to screw you out of your hard earned money?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." --Frank Zappa
KeyPlayer

6 Minutes

Re: Oh, the ways venues try to screw bands...

Postby RoughWoodStudio » Fri May 27, 2016 3:09 pm

And the music community shares these stories. Before too long that venue won't be able to get anyone to play there. (I Hope) We are hoping to open a restaurant with a venue attached. It's very important to me to do right by the bands. Nothing extravagant, but fair. When people get too greedy they kill the chance to create a "scene". Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered.
RoughWoodStudio

Re: Oh, the ways venues try to screw bands...

Postby KeyPlayer » Fri May 27, 2016 7:59 pm

RoughWoodStudio wrote:Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered.

EXACTLY!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." --Frank Zappa
KeyPlayer

6 Minutes

Return to Musicians Lounge