A free version of Pro Tools - not a 30 day trial!!

A free version of Pro Tools - not a 30 day trial!!

Postby KeyPlayer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:27 am

Pro Tools recently released Pro Tools | First - a fully function, although somewhat limited, FREE version of Pro Tools.

This version does not expire in 30 days. It is good forever!

There are limitations, such as you're limited to 16 tracks, but this software might be all a solo artist or startup band needs.

And for anyone who has always wondered if ProTools is worth the money, this is a great way to find out!!

You can compare it to the paid versions here :

http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-too ... ison-table
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." --Frank Zappa
KeyPlayer

6 Minutes

Re: A free version of Pro Tools - not a 30 day trial!!

Postby KeyPlayer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am

I was obviously excited about this when I posted it, but I'm not a sound engineer so I never actually tried Pro Tools First. Well, I recently had occasion to look further into it...

It may still be a great choice for you, but I learned some things I didn't like:

1. Pro Tools First projects cannot be opened in Pro Tools or vice versa. I am baffled why they would make their free and paid versions incompatible with each other.

2. Everything is done "in the cloud". You might be ok with this, but I HATE being forced to keep my stuff in the cloud. Give me a choice!

3. Three projects at a time. Want to start a fourth? Delete one of the first three. :(

4. Can't render/export to mp3. This was less of an issue for me than it was for the musician I was working with. It WILL export to wav, which is a MUCH bigger file size, but I can easily convert it from wav to mp3 if needed.

While researching this, I found another DAW that isn't technically free, but is so cheap (for most of us) that it's worth looking into. http://www.reaper.fm/ Free, fully functional 60 day trial - the exact same version they sell, with no limitations!! Decide you like it? Their licensing is based on your pay level - if you're a starving musician (making less than 20k a year off your music) or a hobbyist, the license is only $60. Disclosure: I still haven't tried this software, but saw LOTS of comments and how-to articles and it seems like everyone who uses it loves it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." --Frank Zappa
KeyPlayer

6 Minutes

Return to Sound Engineering